I found myself in the position last weekend of making 125 cocktails. We were at couple of friends’ wedding in Portobello, Edinburgh which was one of the most genuine and enjoyable events I’ve had the pleasure of attending. I designed a cocktail (using my meagre experience at Harvey Nichols’ Forth Floor cocktail bar) to suit the occasion and to be logistically achievable. After much experimentation (tiresome obviously), I settled on a take on the passionfruit mojito. This comes highly recommended and, should you ever find yourself in the position, can be scaled up easily enough. The cocktail is named after the area in which we all grew up and where the wedding was celebrated Portobello (Porty for short).
- Porty Passion (makes one 250ml drink)
- 50ml dark rum
- 50ml passion-fruit juice
- Juice of half a lime
- Half a lime (quartered)
- Half a passion-fruit (flesh and seeds)
- Large sprig of mint
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- Roughly 50ml cloudy lemonade
- Mix ingredients 1-7 in a tall glass.
- Top up with plenty of ice (the more you can fit in, the better).
- Fill to top with lemonade and stir through with a cocktail stirer or straw.
These might only have a double rum in them but be careful! the sugar makes them potent and they are easy to drink. A deadly combo… I learned the hard way!
Have fun folks.
Until the next time!